The quality of education depends on the excellence of infrastructure where there is no quality infrastructure there is no quality education. The quality of infrastructure is completely in disappointing condition despite the huge investment to the infrastructure. In effort to contributively facilitate the delivery of improved learning and teaching environment for the grassroots community and promote accountability and transparency, The Spotlight data gathering team discover tender advertisement by the Yobe State Universal Basic Education Commission on 10th September 2019 called for bids on the construction and Rehabilitation of School Projects across 17 LGAs of Yobe State for the 1st – 4th quarters of 2018 SUBEB/UBEC intervention funds.
The Spotlight has embarked on #EducateFika campaign to track NGN89,174,769.05 to provide oversight to the implementation of ten (10) school projects and simultaneously engage the beneficiary community to take ownership of the tracking with timely and detailed information to enable citizens’ participation and foster their inclusion in the project. To enable a positive and prosperous campaign, we are calling on all stakeholders, most importantly the Yobe State Universal Basic Education Commission, the good people of Fika LGA Communities and the general public to participate fully in this campaign and provide all necessary information that will foster the full implementation of this project.
The 10 sub-campaigns/projects under the mega campaign are:
- #ConstructGashaka – Tracking NGN18,178,718.57 for the construction of a ‘block of wall fence and barb wiring at Gashaka Primary School.
- #ConstructJangaSiri – Tracking NGN9,316,915.07 for the construction of a block of two (2) classrooms, office & store at Janga Siri Primary School.
- #ConstructNgalda – Tracking NGN9,316,915.07 for the construction of a block of two (2) classrooms, office & store at Ngalda Primary School.
- #ConstructBuramo – Tracking NGN 9,526,915.07 for the construction of a block of two (2) classrooms, office & store at Buramo Primary School.
- #ConstructChana – Tracking NGN11,832,450.77 for the construction of a block of three (3) classrooms, office & store at Chana Primary School.
- #ConstructMaluri – Tracking NGN11,832,450.77 for the construction of a block of three (3) classrooms, office & store at Maluri Primary School.
- #ErectKoromchi – Tracking NGN4,553,480.15 for the renovation of a block of two (2) classrooms, office & store at Koromchi Primary School.
- #ErectLampo –Tracking NGN4,531,290.10 for the renovation of a block of two (2) classrooms, office & store at Lampo Primary School.
- #ErectKuli – Tracking NGN4,544,318.30 for the renovation of a block of two (2) classrooms, office & store & NGN 5,541,315.18 for renovation of a block of three (3) classrooms, office & store at Kuli Primary School.
Ground truthing Community Outreaches Conducted Across Project Sites
From December 16 – 27, 2019 #EducatePotiskum team lead by Bilyaminu Suleman conducted a thorough and well prepared outreach across seven (7) projects sites in rural communities of Potiskum LGA. The team mobilized and enlightened the community stakeholders; community members, leaders and school management on project details to take ownership of the tracking and ultimately recorded positive buy-ins of the community on the campaigns. Find Full Report Here
Access to 1st – 4th quarters 2018 SUBEB/UBEC intervention action plan
In bid to access 2018 UBEC/UBEC action plan on October 28 2019, Spotlight for Transparency and Accountability sent an FOI request letter to the Executive chairman SUBEB, Damaturu Yobe State on the 1st – 4th quarters of 2018 SUBEB/UBEC intervention funds across the state. The Spotlight pursues to track the implementation of SUBEB/UBEC counterpart funding project spread across the 17 LGAs. A breakdown of the beneficiary schools where the projects will be implemented, Budgeted amount for the projects and Contracting document for the project if available. Find letter here
Information sharing by the Yobe SUBEB
Yobe SUBEB demonstrated a strong level of transparency and accountability and commitment to partnership with Spotlight for Transparency and Accountability as regards to project tracking across the state by making available comprehensive action plan for the 1st – 4th quarters of 2018 SUBEB/UBEC intervention funds on December 7th 2019. Find Action Plan Here
Launching The Spotlight Radio Show on Sahel FM 89.50
To engage and reach more citizens get involved and to further promote citizen participation and create a platform for information dissemination, The Spotlight lunches a weekly radio show on January 8th 2020 for sharing tracking experience and monitoring outcome on Sahel FM 89.50 Damaturu. Listen discussion on #EducateFika campaign Here
Strengthening Partnership with the Duty bearers
On our effort to stabilize the relationship between The Spotlight and Yobe SUBEB as well as creating a platform for dialogue between citizens and the Yobe SUBEB. Our team visited the Board on 16th January 2020 to discuss issues relating to 2018 UBEC/SUBEB implementation and called on erring contractors to comply with contract specifications. The meeting succeeded in engaging our team and the management of the Board in discussing vital issues. Find meeting note Here
Town Hall Meeting
Project implementations status; Success and Anomalies Recorded Across Project Sites in Fika LGA
Monitoring Report to Implementing Agency